Sometimes it can be frustrating not to be able to access one of the most important aspects of your business, the accounting!
QuickBooks Online (QBO) is a solution that can greatly improve your work flow,
allowing you more time to spend on your business. This is due in part to the fact that Intuit, the makers of QuickBooks, strongly supports it and is limiting features in the Desktop versions.
Here are some points to consider:
QBO is a good fit for you if you’re looking for the following:
– Easier to access. It’s a web-based product, and internet access is much less cumbersome.
-More than one person can be in the file at the same time. You can have 2 accountants and 5 other users in the file.
– Accounts Receivable can be updated in the QBO file on a more frequent basis if you’d like.
– The interface is clean and intuitive – not much of a learning curve. It mimics the desktop you are used to in many ways.
– You can manage and pay bills easily.
– You (or your bookkeeper) can sync your bank accounts so reconciliations go quickly without any double entry.
– Same security as encryption banks.
– Automatic back-ups so you never have to save a file on a desktop, unless you want to.
– Has excellent reporting capabilities.
– QBO is $25-$50 per month, depending on the features you use.
– If you stay with QB Desktop, the cost to upgrade would be around $379.95 and in 2-3 years you would need to purchase the software again.
*Note: Intuit is now putting more of their time and focus into developing new apps and support systems in QBO over Desktop. QBO will give you the most up-to-date innovations that Intuit has to offer.
Try QBO first:
You can check out a trial version at http://quickbooks.intuit.com/signup/
– We do not recommend that we convert your actual file until you are committed to going to QBO. Once the file is converted from Desktop to QBO, you cannot convert the file back.
*Also, if you issue 1099’s, we recommend the Plus version.
What to expect if you seek help with the conversion:
Conversion can be done in a day. Whether you attempt the conversion on your own, or seek help, here are the general steps for success:
1)Create a backup of your Desktop file.
2)Convert the file and set up your users.
3)If you get outsourced help, you will be sent a link to activate your Intuit account. Once you do, you will be ready to access your
files from anywhere!
I hope this helps you think through a conversion to QBO. It’s not as scary as you might think, and in the long run, it is an economical choice that will carry your business far into this ever-changing business landscape.